Monday, September 24, 2012

MY PEOPLE, MY PEOPLE



Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there existed a group of strong, determined, resilient, and supportive people; African-Americans (Black people, if you will). They owned businesses; they hired/went to work for each other; they frequented each others business faithfully; and, they supported each other. But something happened somewhere along the way, and the wealth and abilities they possessed were being spread everywhere else except in their own community. They even sold lucrative entities that they owned to the very race that enslaved and degraded them for centuries. And now, where there was once camaraderie and support, there is apathy, envy and division. A sad ending to our tale.

If only this were a fairy tale…

Follow my timeline…

December 2002 to September 2003: worked as an office manager for a state funded program house under our CDC. The Executive Director was (is) an African-American female who unfortunately embodies ‘a black woman on a power trip’. She gave me hell and worked my nerves the entire time, the longest 9 months of my life.

August 2005 to August 2006: worked as an Administrative Assistant for a private church school. Several months in the Principal/Director (a Black man) doubled my salary and added to my responsibilities. Out of the blue one day a couple of months later, he claims that they could no longer afford my salary (after he had remodeled the building and his house) and told me not to return to work the next day.

March 2007 to August 2007: worked as an Account Administrator for a physical therapy practice owned by a doctor and his wife (a black couple). Same thing as above, at the end of the day one day she told me they weren’t making money and told me not to return the next day.

November 2007: worked for a few weeks for a black female pediatrician. In addition to receptionist duties, we cleaned the office, took out the trash, etc. When payday came, we had to wait for her for hours to get our pay; sometimes the bank would be closed. One week, we had to keep calling her and could not reach her, and did not get our paychecks until Monday. That was the position that I quit.

July 2010 to July 2011: ended up back at the CDC, this time as an AmeriCorps VISTA member. Same scenario. She expected miracles while giving me grief. That was one long year.

March 2012: slated to work as an office manager for a black man who owned a small but thriving car dealership. It went well for a couple of days, maybe a week. Then he started being sketchy and shady with the hours; I found out he had re-hired his cousin, whom he claimed wasn’t working out and that’s why he needed me. He didn’t even have the guts to come out and tell me I wasn’t needed; I dropped by to check and she was back at the desk.

And so went my attempts at solidarity with my people; 6 jobs over 8 years, laboring to help grow and promote ‘our’ businesses. The result? Either dismissed with no warning, or given such a hard time until productive work was a mere pipe dream. And speaking of dreams, I went in each time with a dream: to work at a place that was black owned and operated, and help the business grow and prosper. For me, that was a fairy tale. I felt used and betrayed, and now I have a sour taste in my mouth; I may never go back to work for another African-American business. And that is a sad and unfortunate feeling to have.

We have gone from literally dying so that we can all have freedom and prosperity as a people, to tearing each other down for self-gain. Don’t get me wrong, we all don’t do behave this way. But the prevalence of such actions sometimes overshadows those of us who are striving to promote solidarity and collective success. It is my hope and prayer, that we get it together and re-unite sincerely, before the crabs rip each other to shreds in that barrel.

2 comments:

Afrodeezha said...

I fortunately work for a black man within local government and our office runs beautifully. We support each other and our common denominator is that we have God in our midst and often witness to each other.

MzNetteC said...

Hi Afrodeezha, thanks for the encouragement. I know the key factor for your employ is having God in it. The ones I worked for proclaimed God but His presence didn't show in their actions. I hope all is well with you.